Eaton
Saturday, October 21, 2017
Township Board Members

Board Members

 

Supervisor:

David Roberts

517-543-3308

home: 517-543-1047

supervisor@eatontownship.com

 

Clerk:

Charamy Cleary

517-543-3308

cell: 517-663-8601

clerk@eatontownship.com

 

Treasurer:

Becky Dolman

517-543-3308

treasurer@eatontownship.com

 

Trustees:

David Bankhead 517-543-5740

James Droscha  517-243-5770

Township History

Eaton Township of Michigan was organized on March 11, 1837 and originally included the entire southeastern quarter of Eaton County. Brookfield and Tyler (Hamlin) Townships were set off in 1841. Eaton Rapids Township was set off in 1842, leaving the present township boundaries. Samuel Searls was the first settler in the township in 1835. Most of the township's subsequent growth closely paralleled that of Charlotte, with early settlements concentrated at its perimeter.

William Wall moved to the township in June, 1836. Several families settled in the vicinity and it soon adopted the name of "Walls Settlement." A post office was established in 1838, with William Southworth as postmaster. The community thrived until its value to the lumbering interests active in Eaton County soon decreased.

History of Ingham and Eaton Counties Michigan by Samuel W. Durant